Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Friday, June 01, 2007

Maggie's Adoption Story

We were having brunch with friends when we got onto the topic of dogs.  We mentioned that we’d probably want an older dog, a German Shepherd, perhaps.

The following week, we have a conversation like this over dinner:

Big Guy:  Did you see the paper?
Me:  No, why?
Big Guy:  You’ll have to check it out online.
Me:  (thinking…. “great…what did my college do NOW?”)
Me:  (went online, found story) OH MY GOSH!  WHO WOULD DO THAT TO PUPPIES?!?

Our little Maggie was part of a litter of pups that were abandoned on a country road.  In the 90+ degree heat (with the heat index….120 degrees!). 

Oh.  But the person who dumped them put a bag of dog food under the tree. 
Gee.  Thanks.

A couple was driving by, saw the pups and sprang into action.  They rescued the pups, brought them home, put them into a child’s wading pool to cool them down and made a call to the Humane Society.  By the end of the day, they were in the shelter. 

Because of that couple….our dog is still here today.

The Big Guy and I continued our conversation….

Big Guy:  I know.  It’s sad, isn’t it?
Me:  Yeah.  I hope they get adopted.
Me (thinking…. “Hold on a second….”)
Me:  Wait.  Are you thinking that we should adopt one of those puppies?
Big Guy (under his breath):  Maybe.

I thought about it, too.  A lot.  Two days later I went down to the Humane Society to see about the pups.  I thought for sure they would have a lottery or something with all the people who were interested.  Nope.  They were first come, first served. 

I walked back to their pen and as I was standing there, tears rolling down my face and saying, “this is our dog!”  Before I knew it, I was filling out an application and putting down a $20 deposit.   I sent a text to the Big Guy and said, “meet me here at 4:30 p.m..” 

When the Big Guy met Maggie—he snapped like a cracker.  He, too, knew that Maggie was OUR dog.  We agreed to doing it and the rest is history.