Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Monday, June 11, 2012

Where the Rubber Meets the Potato...

I worked in my garden this weekend in the hot, humid 90+ degree weather.  While out of town on a work trip, my garden has really taken off!  I mentioned that I had very lofty "garden goals" this year and so far so good!

While we have this garden patch on the farm, I'm still a city kid through and through.  I want easy gardening with minimal effort.  I did share a few weeks ago about my garden and using tires to grow potatoes.  I thought I'd give you a sneak peek as to how this is working.

I love fresh garden potatoes.
I hate digging them out of the dirt.

My mother in law suggested planting my seed potatoes using tires.  The idea is that as the potato plant grows, you add more dirt up the stalk of the plant, and stack a tire up to keep the dirt and potato plants contained.

Here's the potato plants grown so far.

Who knew a puckered, old potato would produce THIS!?!
Because the potatoes are going to grow from the stalk (that's what I'm told), we need to keep the stalks covered with dirt.

I covered the stalks and put on a 2nd tire.




As the stalks continue to grown, I'll cover them with dirt (I won't cover the leaves--just the stalks) and add another tire.  When the potatoes are ready, we'll be able to take the tires off and pull out the potatoes, rather than digging with a shovel.

I'm excited to see how this works out!
Anyone else growing a little something this summer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest gardening idea I have ever seen! Seriously!

Tracy Griffin - Artist said...

I'm growing a litte HUGE appetite for garden goodies from my buddy! Beautiful! Those are MY plants though, right?? :)