Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Monday, August 05, 2013

The Next 10 Days....

Tomorrow I had off on a jet plane to west-central Ohio to spend 10 days with my father.  Let's be honest.  The last time I spent that much time with my dad I was in high school, coming out to Ohio to spend time during the summer.  Usually during that 10 day visit, he would proclaim that he didn't know how to talk to me, I'd cry, and my step-mom would tell my father, "You're being an ass" resulting in me packing up my stuff and spending the remaining visit with with (a) childhood friends or (b) my cousin Shelly.

That's what happens when you mix in a parent who was a workaholic and didn't know how to parent with a teenager who wanted to be a teenager.

Oh.  We were two peas in a pod, let me tell you.

I'm headed off to Ohio to actually assist my father as he's having surgery.
Brain surgery, in fact.

Back in March he was complaining about headaches.  He visited the Vet's Hospital and they ran some tests.  And more tests.  And more tests.  In early April they concluded that he had a spot in his brain.

Otherwise known as a brain aneurysm.

I asked him if he wanted me to be out there.  I honestly expected him to tell me, "no".  Back in 2011 he had a heart valve replacement.  When I asked the same question he said to me, "Why would you come out here?  No.  You're not coming out."  But to my surprise, he said, "sure.  Why don't you come out."

I know you're probably thinking 2 things:

  1. April?  It's now August!
  2. You said "step mom"....is she not there?

Timing:  Yeah.  Vet's hospital doesn't exactly move quickly.  But I'm guessing that if they waited this long, he's fine.  For now anyway.

Step-Mom:  She is still very much around and is a saint.  Sadly, my dad & step-mom are no longer married.

So, later this week, my father will have full-on brain surgery.  They'll clamp off the aneurysm and we'll move forward with recovery.

I won't lie.  I'm scared shitless.
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind that it's been 12 years since I've been in Ohio and my father has major, risky surgery and all the things that could happen.  It has crossed my mind.  It continues to cross my mind.  And it won't stop crossing my mind until he is out, is fine, and is telling me, "Yeah, I'm fine, you can go home now."

I'll likely be using Instegram as a way to document my trip, my dad's surgery, visits with family, etc.  Feel free to follow me as I can guarantee you that there will be some fun stuff to post during this 10 day visit.

And if you'd keep my dad in your thoughts and prayers, I'd be grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

XOXOXOXOXOXOX)
amy