Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Monday, December 23, 2013

Grandma's Christmas Fudge

Last week I was reading this post by the Big Guy's cousin.  She and her husband are living in Switzerland (her husband was transferred there for work).  Her youngest son has food allergies and she is navigating the waters of trying to make everyday foods with allergy friendly ingredients.  Add to it that she's living abroad, it's very interesting how she creates new recipes!

Anyway, the Big Guy's cousin shared a story about how when they were kids, their Grandma would make fudge, wrap it up in small boxes and put it under the tree for the kids.  I had no idea that she did this!  So, I decided to get the recipe from the Big Guy's sister and see what I could do to make a batch for the Big Guy as a surprise.

I made a batch, stuck it out on the deck to cool and cleaned up the kitchen.   The Big Guy came in from work and let Maggie (the dog) out the back door (through the garage).  As we were chatting in the kitchen, Maggie started to bark.  The Big Guy opened the sliding door to the deck, and before I could say anything about the fudge, the dog came barreling up the steps.....

....and stepped right into the fudge.





Yep.
Right.
In.
The.
Middle.

sigh

There was much debate.
Eat around it?
Toss it?

I decided to make another batch, while the Big Guy said, "I'll risk it!" and plans to eat around it.  

But I thought I'd share the recipe with you.  It's super easy.
And very rich.  And very tasty.

Grandma's Christmas Fudge
2 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of evaporated milk
1/3 cup of light corn syrup
2 cups (1 bag) of high quality MILK chocolate chips (recipe says "not Nestle") 
1 t of vanilla
1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)





Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by buttering the bottom and sides.  Set aside.

Heat the evaporated milk and sugar over low heat.  Once it starts to boil, continue boiling for 10 minutes (this should be a slow, simmering boil).

After 10 minutes, take the milk/sugar off the stove.  Stir in corn syrup and vanilla (it will bubble up a bit when the vanilla is added).  Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.  Fold in walnuts.  Pour into your 9x13 pan and put in the fridge to cool.  When firm, cut in to squares.


There you go!

Store in the fridge.
You can also freeze it (which is what I do to keep it "out of sight, out of mind").

Enjoy!

I am also happy to report that this batch was "puppy paw free".  ha!

2 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I would have had a serious debate about eating it... just cut the center part out... the edges are perfectly edible :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! My boys enjoyed hearing about the paw print fudge. :-) Thanks for checking out my blog. Happy New Year! -Heddi