Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Holy Money Making, Batman!

So, did you check out the auction blog? If not, then you missed how much we made in the first ever online silent auction that used a blog.

We made $2957! Not to bad for a girl with an idea.

And I was just hoping we'd make $500.

Highlights from the Auction:

Best Comment in the comment section
Coffee is bad for you. You don't want it. I bid $65.50. Ruggs Cote

This was in response to the hot ticket item of the 1 pound of coffee, every month for a year from Caribou Coffee.

Oddest Comment in the comment section
1 bid, $25

This was someone's attempt to bid. That is when I had to kick some Bloggy Bootie and say, "No information = Your bid not being accepted." We are unaware if this person came back.

Best Thread on the 3-Day Message Board
I thought tickets to Disneyland and a nights stay at Harrods was good. How did you get your items? Was it connections? Did you write a letter?

My reply: Connections, baby. It's all about the connections.

Most Stressful Part of the Auction
The last 4 minutes.

I swear to you, my friend Meghan was going to win those bath products from philosophy if it killed me. Come hell or high water, I was making darn sure she was getting that Cinnamon Buns, Coconut Frosting and Hope in a Jar. That stuff is expensive in England.

Remind me to share a story about Meghan and the hair dying incident in graduate school.

Oh....she'll love me for that!

Most Embarrassing Auction Moment
When my father bid on the item he donated.

I had to call my dad to remind him that he needs to bid on items he did NOT donate. He told me, "I know, but I'm just doing my best to raise you some money." Even though my parents are divorced, my mom and dad are very much alike. My mom grew up in the auction business (my grandparents owned an auction barn), and she still clerks auctions to this day. My dad learned all the trade secrets from her. I had to tell my dad, "Please stop. I have you stirring the pot in Ohio and mom stirring the pot in Montana."

What I Will Not Do Next Time
Place bids for my co-workers.

I said, "...sure! I'll watch that for you."

In the last four minutes (see "most stressful" above) I was watching items left and right. I promised a co-worker that I would bid on the Honduras House for him. He told me to go to his limit of $1000 (BIG THANK YOU again to Mr. Co-Worker!). My mom's friend was also bidding on this house.

At 5:59 my mom called me and it went like this:

Mom: Kel, Margaret (her friend) won't go any higher.
Kel: OK
M: Doesn't your co-worker want it?
K: Yeah, what is she up too?
M: $950
K: Alright I'll put it in
M: HURRY!!! IT'S ALMOST 6 O'CLOCK!!
K: Ahhh! OK!
(typing...typing...backspacing...typing...)
K: OK...it's in.
M: Whew!
K: Crap!
M: What?
K: I could've gone to $951.


Yeah, never again. Ya'll are on your own! That was too stressful!!

Other Learned Lessons
People still want their money to go to their friends, kids, cousins, sister or other family member.

After the auction was over, deciding how to divide the money was a chore. But I did it and everyone was getting a nice little sum.

Then the e-mails started.

"I'd like my money to go so-in-so".

Huh?

Yeah...those people were mom's, siblings, cousins, co-workers, etc. to the walkers. It never dawned on me that they would want it to be that specific. So, lesson learned? Send a list to the team BEFORE you contact the bidders. Thankfully, we were able to work it all out!


All in all, it was a great auction! If you stopped by, thank you!

No comments: