Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Monday, March 08, 2010

My Family Was the Original Duggar Family....
Friday night, the Big Guy was working, so I got to enjoy watching what I wanted on TV and eating a dinner that consisted of a toasted English muffin, a banana, and Thin Mint's.

And yet I wonder why I haven't lost weight in over 2 months. Hummmm.

Anyway, on TV, I got sucked into the show Who Do You Think You Are. This show is where they take a celebrity and trace their family tree. This week, the took the one and only Sarah Jessica Parker and did a little tracing of the tree. What did they discover? She had a relative who chased a dream for riches in the California Gold Rush. She also had a relative who was accused of being a witch during the Salem Witch Trials.

Bet that will make for a fun conversation during the next Thanksgiving!

Anyway, I decided to get onto Ancestry.com and see what the cards had in store for me.

Now, I have to admit that I am lucky that my mother made sure that I knew about my family history. She is, without a doubt, the family historian. Not only for her family--but also my father's. I already had a tree started--one that I created about 3 years ago. But this weekend I decided to dive in a bit deeper.

Honestly, I'm bound and determined to prove that I'm related to the British Royal Family. Or the Norwegian Royal family. I'm not picky. After all, I'm going to London in 2012 for the Olympics and need a place to stay. What? The Queen has more rooms than I can shake a stick at. She'll never know we're there.

Here is what I found:

*I am, indeed of Irish decent
*I have relatives who were born in London and have the same last name as a camp friend, who is also British. Perhaps we're related!
*I am also of Swiss decent--deep routed Swiss decent (my dad's mother's side).
*How deep is that Swiss decent? I'm currently back to 1540. That's pretty deep if you ask me.
*I had a Great, Great, Great Grandfather who, between his two wives, fathered 14 kids.
*1849 was a bad year for a line of my family, because 3 people died within 3 days of one another.
*November birthdays are heavy on my dad's side. So much so that I share a birthday with my Great, Great Grandmother!

I'm still trying to figure out if my family came over on the Mayflower, so if anyone from Who Do You Think You Are wants to feature me on the show, I've done most of the leg work.

Just so we're clear, I'm not being paid to endorse Ancestry.com or the NBC show. I just really, really, really, like that I got to research my family tree this weekend.

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

My family is horrible... I dont even know my great grandmothers names.. how sad is that?!?!

I had to laugh when SJP found out about the Salem witch trials... she played a witch in that Disney movie...(dang, my mind is totally blank on the title & thats one of my mom's fav movies!!! URG - gotta go to IMDB now!)

Tara said...

So neat! My mom's family trekked over the country in a covered wagon to Oregon on the Oregon trail. There is a whole book written about her families history. I'm interested in my dad's side of the family. I know there has to be scandals there!

Caren said...

Laughing...when you mentioned the Duggars I thought you were going to tell me you are preggers. Ha!!! My grandmother was the youngest of 12 children. My great grandfather was a busy man. She was the product of his 4th wife. Go man go!