Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's all about the Guac...



One of my favorite blogs, Boo Mama, is having a link up for dips!  Being a girl who has a fondness for dips...I thought I'd play along.  I have yet to meet a dip I didn't like.


Today, bloggy people, you are in for a treat.
My famous guacamole recipe.
avocados.jpg (325×237)




Famous because it is requested by friends and family.
Famous because it has been a staple at work potlucks.
Famous because my husband didn't know good guacamole until he met me.


Now.  I can't take all the credit for this recipe.  It has been adapted from the Alton Brown recipe.  When I mentioned to my friend RJ that I make a damn good guacamole, he wanted to see my recipe as he was a guacamole snob.


Talk about pressure.  Good news is...he liked it.
But we tweaked it slightly.
And this, my friends....is THE guacamole recipe.
RJ and Big Guy approved.


Ingredients:
3 ripe avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1/2 t kosher salt (if you're using reglar ol' salt, cut back on this a bit.)
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t cayenne (oh yes!  Cayenne!)


1/2 a medium white onion, diced (this is critical.  yellow?  red?  nope.  White!)
2 roma tomatoes, seeded & diced
Up to 1 T chopped cilantro (this can be strong, so start with a little and add more if you want)
1 clove of garlic minced


In a large bowl, toss the avocado in the lime juice.  Coat well and drain off any excess in a small bowl (you'll use it in a minute!).  Using a potato masher, add the salt, cumin and cayenne and mash up the avocado.  Fold in onions, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice.


Let this sit at room temp for 1 hour before serving.
(if you're a food freak like me....it's OK.  It won't spoil.  Promise.)


Now, be sure to check out Boo Mama's blog and find a dip or two!
I'll be over here, warming up my Little Dipper Crockpot....



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a guacamole lover, too. And, being in Texas, there are a million recipes and variations that we all swear by. My recipe is very similar to your recipe, but I started using orange juice (fresh squeezed) instead of lime juice and it's REALLY good. You should try it sometime, it makes it really creamy which I wouldn't have expected. I can't take the credit b/c I saw this idea at a restaurant while they were making our tableside guac.

Rebecca Jo said...

you are speaking to my guac heart! I can eat guacamole EVERY DAY & never tire of it. I honestly just cut up a avacado & mix with salsa & eat the whole bowl. How pitiful is that?

The commenter above... orange juice?!?! really? Oh wow - I've got to try all these new things!

Tracy Griffin - Artist said...

I can vouch for the flavor of this guac. It's phenominal and I can never get enough! Hey Kelley how would you like to contribute this recipe to me new cookbook? Umm... did I tell you I'm thinking of writing a cookbook?