Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Friday, March 16, 2012

Luck o' the Irish Cake....

In researching my family tree a few years ago, I discovered that I am, indeed, Irish.


Not a lot, mind you.  My great, great grandmother on my dad's father's side of the family was from Ireland.  All of those years growing up when I was jealous of kids in my class for being Irish.  Well!  Now I can celebrate St. Patrick's day as a true Irish girl!  And to celebrate, I'm taking this little gem into work:






Gwen's Luck o' the Irish Cake


1 box of white cake mix
mint extract divided into 1 1/2t and 1/2t servings.
12 drops green food coloring
2 jars (16 oz each) hot fudge topping
1 container (8oz) cool whip--thawed
5 drops yellow food color
Andies mint candies, chopped (you can get these in the chocolate chip aisle)


Heat oven to 350 (glass & metal pans) or 325 (for dark/non stick pans)

  1. Spray cake pan with cooking spray.
  2. Make cake mix according to package directions.  Fold in 1 1/2 t mint extract.  Remove 1 cup of batter and add in 3 drops of green food coloring.  Set aside.  Pour remaining, uncolored batter into your pan.
  3. Take the 1 cup of green tinted batter and drop generous tablespoonfuls randomly throughout the cake.  Take a butter-knife and swirl the cake batter.
  4. Bake for 28-33 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely.  Run a knife around the edges.
  5. Carefully spread fudge topping evenly over cooled cake.
  6. In a medium bowl stir whipped topping, 1/2t mint extract, 9 drops green food coloring, 5 drops yellow food coloring until well mixed.  Spread topping over fudge layer.
  7. Top with mint candy pieces.
  8. Store in refrigerator
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

Disclaimer:  With all the hub-bub on the interwebs with bloggers not citing sources and claiming other's work as their own, I'm trying my best to give credit where credit is due.  Gwen (a former coworker) has made this cake for YEARS and shared the recipe with me.  Therefore, Gwen gets the credit.  However, if your company or if you as a home-baker, was the original creator of this recipe, I'm happy to give you credit, too.

Disclaimer #2:  Yes.  I pinned my own page to pinterest.  I've said this before and I'll say it again--I've tried searching my own blog for my recipes--but I suck at it.  Pinning it is so much easier.  It's for my benefit--not to be a "popular pinner".  

1 comment:

Rebecca Jo said...

mmmm....andes mints... mmmmm....