Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam Recipe

Last week, the strawberry farm that is down the road from us, opened for business for their u-pick season.  While I LOVE the idea of picking your own, the amount of berries I wanted would mean I'd be u-picking forever.  So I called ahead and ordered a pre-picked flat for 10 pounds of strawberries.

Why so many?

Because I wanted to make Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam.

I saw a recipe in the Midwest Living magazine, but because I wanted to use Low or No Sugar Pectin, I wasn't sure how to figure out the measurements.  The original recipe called for 10 cups of sugar for 10 half pints.  TEN CUPS!!  I like my jam sweet, but goodness....that was a bit too much for me.  Doing a little internet search, I found the Ball Canning Website has a step by step measurement & directions for how to make your jam.

So, here's my recipe:

7 cups (approx) of hulled strawberries
2 cups washed and diced rhubarb
7 1/2 T of low or no sugar Pectin
1 2/3 cups of water
2 1/2 cups of sugar
10--8oz (or "half pint) freezer jars

Here are my strawberries and rhubarb.  I had mostly smaller strawberries in my flat.  See?  ha!


I weighed the little containers and it weighed out to about 3 pounds.

I washed and prepared my fruit.  The directions on the website said to mash your fruit with a potato masher.  Forget that!  I used a food processor to break up the fruit and rhubarb dices a bit more.

Add your fruit to a deep pan (used my dutch oven).  Add the water.  You'll also want to add your pectin.  Here's what the pectin container looked like in case you decide to go this route.

You want to cook the fruit/water/pectin until it comes to a rolling boil that you can't stir down.  Add your sugar.  Stir well and bring it back to a rolling boil again.  Remove from the heat and ladle into your half pint jars.

I let it sit out at room temp for about 4 hours until it was cooled.  I then put the lids on and into the freezer it went!  It can last a year in the freezer.  If eating fresh, keep it refrigerated and use within 3 weeks.

Seriously.
This was so good I literally licked the pan.
  
Yes.  It's that good.

2 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Not even joking.. my stomach just growled reading this...

Tracy Griffin - Artist said...

I've got the toast if you've got the jam!! Kelley, you are my kitchen HERO!