Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Monday, December 19, 2011

Pinterest Review: Gift Card Box...

I have my secret Santa exchange at work today!  The person I picked out of the hat was the only guy who signed up to do the exchange.  He's a young kid, who put the following on his "likes" list:  

  • Food that isn't good for me (read:  junk food)
  • Movies
  • TV
Well.
That narrows it down.

So, for the last 2 weeks, I've left him different junk foods in his box with little notes.  But when it came to the final "big" gift, I decided to do a little gift basket with treats and 2 gift cards (Best Buy and iTunes).  But rather than throw all kinds candy in a basket and cards in an envelope, I decided to do something a little different.  I'll showcase the gift basket later this week and how I put it together.

I wanted gift card boxes and found this idea on Pinterest.  
Here are my gift card boxes.



Cute, huh?
Guess what they are made from:


YES!  Laughing Cow cheese boxes!

I found the idea here.  You'll find a tutorial there, too.  Here's my Real Deal review....

Pro:
  • Creative use of the boxes.  Fun to recycle them!
  • Can be easily created for the celebration (Christmas, Birthday's etc)
  • Great way to use up paper scraps from scrapbooking and card making.
  • The blog post tutorial was easy to follow.
  • Very easy to make.  Total time was 20 minutes.
Con:
  • If you don't own a circle cutter with a 4 inch diameter, (I don't), you have to find something that you can trace--just as the directions state.  Keep in mind there is a rim on the lid if the box--which is not discussed on the tutorial, so tracing the box itself will give you a circle of paper that is too big.  I used a jar I found in my pantry.
  • The original poster had a paper-slicer which they used to cut the thin strips that are wrapped around the outside.  If you don't have a paper slicer/paper cutter, you want to cut them at 3/8ths of an inch using a ruler and a scissors.
  • The box is just large enough to hold the actual gift card.  So unless the card has a dollar amount on the back, you'll need to let the gift recipient know how much is on the card.
Overall, I think this was spot on and easy to do.  

And if you're like me, you've raided your fridge for the Laughing Cow boxes and tossed the cheese wedges into a baggie.

See?