Let's Connect!

 photo 321404b9-d968-4cf4-ba37-daffc976f38f.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconspinterest-1.png  photo LeelouBlogsfreeiconsInstagram-1.png

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Taco Seasoning--homemade!

So, about 2 months ago I did my weekly menu plan and decided to make something that required taco seasoning.  That night as I'm making dinner, I went to the pantry to get out the industrial sized bottle of taco seasoning that we bought at Costco. I searched and searched and couldn't find it.

It happened.  We were out of seasoning.  I needed that stuff NOW!  After a little google search I found Alton Brown's Taco Seasoning recipe.  I dig Alton Brown.


While his show, Good Eats, grinds on my nerves a bit, I do enjoy the science behind cooking.  So, when I found his recipe, I knew it was solid and as close to the packet stuff that you could get.

I chose to modify it ever so slightly by using Chili 3000 seasoning from Penzy's rather than the standard chili powder.  You can read the ingredients of Chili 3000 here...

2 tablespoons Chili 3000 seasoning from Penzy's  (if you don't have this, use chili powder)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

This makes about a 1/4 of a cup total.  I triple this recipe and keep it in an airtight mason jar.  When I make tacos or anything requiring a "packet of taco seasoning", I just pull out this jar and use 2 tablespoons.
photo found in google images here

The Big Guy LOVES this. He says it tastes much more flavorful than the packet stuff and less salty.  I too, feel that the flavor has been kicked up a few notches. 

Is it wrong to want Mexican food every night? 
I'm just asking....for a friend.....

(I've pinned this on my own pinterest page)
(simply because when I need this recipe again, I won't, for the life of me, be able to find it on my blog.  Pinterest is so much easier for finding this stuff.)